End of Life Care
Four overarching themes have been identified to improve end of life care. These are:
- To engage wider society through a public health approach.
- To make best practice consistent across the region.
- To develop staff to deliver high quality evidence-based practice.
- To ensure planning, commissioning and delivery of care is better integrated to deliver seamless care.
- Identify resources to support individuals at end of life.
- Effective use of palliative care registers in supporting personalised care planning.
- Develop access to 24/7 support for those with end of life needs, ensuring that patient choice and wishes are respected.
NECN Palliative and End of Life Care Guidelines 2016
Fourth edition, updated for 2016. The guidelines have been written for any clinician responsible for the management and treatment of patients with palliative and end of life care needs, regardless of diagnosis. Select the ‘Booklet’ print option to compile as an A5 booklet for easy reference.
Care for the Dying Patient
The “Care for the Dying Patient” document takes into account the issues raised within the Neuberger report and the recommendations in “One Chance to Get it Right”, published in June 2014, which sets out the priorities for care when a person is dying.
It is imperative for good end of life care to have sufficient training in place for teams to manage patients well and to hold sensitive conversations with dying patients and their relatives. This document will help to support that process but forms only a small part of good end of life care.
The Care for the Dying Patient Documentation
1 Title Page Contact Information – 2015 – Word Document available for adjusting to local needs
4 Daily Reassessment – 2015 – Word Document available for adjusting to local needs
Care for the dying patient guidance-May 2015 – N.B. this form may be used as a A4 double sided or A5 folded document and may be adjusted for local use.
Additional Supportive Resources – Care for the Dying Patient
Grieving Booklet – information leaflet
When Someone is Dying Leaflet – information leaflet